OACPS’ environmental programmes featured from 15-16 June during the European Development Days
Brussels, 07 June 2021/OACPS: The Programmes of the Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS) dedicated to the protection and management of terrestrial and marine bio-diversity within the Members of the OACPS will be on display during the 14th edition of the European Development Days (EDDs) from 15 to 16 June 2021.
The European Development Days, this year themed, ‘the Green Deal for a Sustainable Future’, will provide key inputs on the way to COP26 in Glasgow in November 2021. In 2019, almost 8,000 persons visited the EDDs. That number is expected to increase as the virtual event is now open to a global audience.
The Members of the Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS) include some of the world’s most disaster-prone and climate vulnerable nations. They, however, also have a rich biodiversity, including endemic species, forests, coral reefs, seagrass beds and mangroves, which play a critical role in poverty alleviation and sustainable development. The OACPS works with a number of partner organisations to implement programmes to protect and manage terrestrial and marine bio-diversity and ensure that no-one is left behind.
Following a decision at the 110th Session of the then, ACP Council of Ministers at the 9th Summit of OACPS Heads of State and Government in Nairobi, held in Nairobi, Kenya in December 2019, the Environment and Climate Action (ECA) Department was created. The Department seeks to support Members of the OACPS to undertake climate change adaptationandmitigation actions; protect biodiversity; promote the sustainable use and management of natural resources; strengthen ocean governance, including fisheries and aquaculture; and build resilience to disasters from natural hazard risks.
Click HERE to see the programmes supported by the OACPS:
• Biopama, visit also:https://bit.ly/3g2mdL1
• Intra-ACP Climate Services and Related Applications (ClimSA)
• Multilateral Environmental Agreements in ACP Countries (MEA3)
• National Disaster Risk Reduction (NDRR)
• SIDS Network
• Sustainable Wildlife Management Programme (SWM)
• Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme (PSUP)
How can you know more about these programmes?
1. Register to attend the EDDs at:https://eudevdays.eu/community/
2. Visit the OACPS’ virtual stand at the EDDs at: Terrestrial and Marine Biodiversity in a Changing Climate
3. During the EDDs, join the live zoom presentations on the OACPS’ environmental programmes:
• Tuesday 15/06, 11H00: IntraACPGCCA+, Link: https://bit.ly/3fGYyAA
• Tuesday 15/06, 15H00: ClimSA, Link: https://bit.ly/3vMXlxj
• Tuesday 15/06, 16H00: NDRR, Link:https://bit.ly/3goFeaL
• Wednesday 16/06, 11H00: Fish4ACP, Link: https://bit.ly/3fGYyAA
• Wednesday 16/06, 16H00: SWM, Link: https://bit.ly/3goFeaL